Elder Swanger has been called to serve in the Tulsa Oklahoma, spanish speaking mission.

Monday, March 28, 2011

7 February 2011

Dustin:

I really hope that you can recive the videos becuase I have another for you on me conducting a trolley! an one hundred year old trolley! we also went to this really fancy restaurant that a member funded for us and asked us to go and try it out and the food and SHOW were amazing. The food was cooked infront of us on a hibachi! Japanese food! We also got to see our first street preacher from streetpreachers.com lol. He was not accepted at all but we (who were just in the middle of campus taking a break), it was 70 degrees and we were riding bikes all day, so we were just sitting there and a man from the angry mob around the preacher walked straight up to us and sat down at our table. We were about 50 ft from the preacher and we started talking and found out he was a member and after the mob poofed we got a couple more people that were not members come up and they were impressed with the way that we teach and told us were to go to find hispanics. There were other members just coming to shake our hands on their way to class. A lot of good can come from this.

Leah:

yes I can get video, but I can't watch them at work. they are blocked. Your county has a 90% chance of 3-5 inches of snow and 1/4 inch to 1 inch of sleet. I looked at it this morning. our weather is almost as crazy as here. 70 degrees. what day was that?

Dustin:

friday what is the weather for here is it suppose to be a ice storms?

Leah:

snow 3-5 inches, ice (freezing rain) and sleet 1/4 - 1 inch, and wind. warning from 6 pm till morning.

Dustin:

cool we have to go and collect wood to burn in our fire place just in case. as the president wishes. Do you just want to make a list of things that you want to take off of the sansa or no becuase I would like to keep whole CDs and I bought CDs to make copies of the CDs that the other misionaries have here. we spend alot of time in the car and that is why i am desperate for new music! ;) What cool things have been happening there?

Leah:

does your car have a cd player?

Dustin:

our car has a CD player but not a recever plug thing that you asked about in your letter. But the GPS that I have been using is a Garmin nuvi 205 but it needs to be updated. If you start it up there then within 60 days of it making a connection with the sattelittes you can get a free map update. Also the sooner the better because my companion is leaving and I still don't know the area that well. Are you there?

Leah:

It didn't look like you much from the last storm that came through there. Just a bit icy. Did you end up home bound? The average temp for your area is suppose to be 50°, which you will see by Saturday. and 60° on Sunday. That is nuts!

Do you still have some air borne? Have you gotten a cold from the ups and downs of the weather?

We had a great Stake Conf. The theme was Family. Pres Mickelsen's talk was going over 14 ways to follow the prophet. And twice it was talked about writing down spiritual experiences. I will try and find the quote and send it to you. Missionary and temple work were covered very well too. Just so you know, our missionaries never go unfed here. It is hard to get a turn to have them over. Being in primary we never get the list either, but when JR was being taught, the Sister's told us that we couldn't feed them dinner because they had dinner apts every night.

So, is there 4 or 6 in your apartment?

Are you still teaching? Have you been able to get around? What is your comps name? I don't remember.

Type you at work,

Mom

Dustin:

yes there was 2-3 inches of Ice so we did nothing for a grand total of 4 days and yes I have plenty of airborne that Daren and Kathy sent me. There are 4 that live in the apt but there are 6 when there is an Ice storm because they live on the top of a hill and it is too dangerous for them to stay in their house. My companion is Elder Bartholomew and my new companion coming in is Elder Gutierez. He is a native! Tansfers will be on friday because there is supose to be another storm on wednesday. I think you would like it here there are lots of the birds that live right out side of your window. here is a pic. There are so many that they fill the sky and you can see them migrate and the pictuers that you see of bats in a line across the sky is what I can see about once a week. I also sent a picture of that but I don't think that it came out that well.

Leah:

On the web cam it looked like maybe and inch of ice. I guess that can be decieving. And it goes away just in time for another storm to come.

Where is Gutierez from? Native spanish speaker I get that part

Dustin:

Yes the transfer calls came and I am staying here but my companion is going. :( I really like this one. Sorry about the pics that were sent but I really don't know what happened but every once in a while it just does that for every picture no matter what I do. but I just reset the camera setting and it fixes it. next transfer call are in 6 weeks. I will write a letter and tell you how this is going to work becuase it is very messed up.

Leah:

So you loose your comp on Friday? By the way, do you HAVE to part your hair? It looks better shaved short.

Dustin:

YES I have a part in my hair we are asked by president to have a part. Why I don't know. Oh Elder Gutierez is an undocumented missionary so I get to drive for the next transfer. I know you would like to see more pictures of me but it is difficult to take good pics of your self. but here is one of me at a Lao Buddhist temple. you may have to have fun with it becuase the monk took the pic.

I think that I am going to try to make the OTM out of pictures and maybe Swanger. Though we figured our how to do that with our hands like a gang sign for missionaries. Because I am staying here I will be able to help out this archaeologist dig up an indian burial site that he thinks he has found. more news on that coming up. He is cool and should be baptized soon. He is going to prove the Book of Mormon true. He has found articles and all of this stuff that has been found and hushed up. Like his tribe that he belongs to used to write on metal plates to preserve their wirtings and the more precious the metal the more important the writtings. cool isn't it.

Leah:

I is cool. what is otm. Keep taking pics, we like seeing where you are.

Dustin:

I did my first baby blessing! she was only a 1.5 days! that was sunday and also on sunday we settled the debt of one of the families in the ward that needed help. We will be delivering the last check tomorrow. I think that we tried to squish all of the week into day it was a crazy day.

Leah:

What is an undocumented Missionary? papers not all filled out yet? That is sooo special, to do a baby blessing. Parents are new members?

Dustin:

no part-member family and the member is giving up beer and smoking this week. It was not a real baby blessing. It was a blessing of health. The baby is fine they just wanted to be sure. An undocumented missionary just means that he is not a citizen and does not have a visa. I am on your insurence again? Just a question. are you going to get a camara this week?

I meant are you going to get a GPS this week?

Leah:

not this week. we haven't decided if you really need one.

Dustin:

K I just hope that my companion will have one otherwise we will get lost. We get lost with a GPS here. The steets are so messed up it is funny and fustrating. Sorry but for now I have got to go. And I will try t get some more pics with me in them.

In the picture is me on the red bed, Elder Brakcken i the black and my companion reading his tracking bible in the PJs.

Leah:

So, what else do you do when you are stuck indoors for that long?

No comments:

Post a Comment